Michael Gove has announced radical new proposals to reform teacher training and help create a new generation of Maths and Science teachers in primary and secondary schools.
Michael, the Shadow Children’s Secretary, stressed, “Good as our teachers are, they must be better.”
And he outlined a series of proposals to improve the training given to trainee teachers:
- An end to multiple re-sits - under the current system, trainee teachers can re-sit the literacy and numeracy tests an infinite number of times.
- Upgraded tests - the Initial Teacher Training tests will be made more stretching
- Raising the GCSE English and Maths requirements for trainee primary school teachers from C to B
- A 2.2 will be made the minimal acceptable degree for taxpayer-funded PGCE
- Specialist courses in phonics and in Maths for trainee primary teachers